There are several reasons why you might want to learn a skill over pursuing a degree. While many students still find degrees to be valuable or prefer them, there are plenty of benefits associated with learning a specific skill that might interest you, especially at this time when the cost of education is rising. You should consider getting skills rather than degrees.
8 Reasons why you should choose a skill course!
1) A degree does not guarantee employment - A skill is a specific area of expertise that you can use to make money. Something as simple as it is that we need money to survive and if you have skills, you are surely going to make money. On the other end even after pursuing a degree, there is no guarantee of jobs.
2) Degrees are expensive - Skills are gaining the attention of many students in recent times. With the rising cost of education and degrees, students are considering skills as a viable choice for their future careers.
While you can start building a new skill by self-learning on YouTube by exploring skill courses on various websites like Udemy, SkillShare, or MySkillShaala.
3) Skills should be looked at as a gateway to a particular job - Skills are often viewed as something that can be acquired on the side, while a degree is something that takes a longer time to acquire, but is an investment in your career. You can learn a skill in a few months to a few years depending on how much time you put into it and will also give you an edge over others.
These skills work as an easy entry to any job. An employer always prefers a person with skills and competency to do their job to a degree in that particular area. For example, a digital marketer competent to bring good branding or sales for the company will always have higher demand than an MBA in Marketing.
“Skills work as an easy entry to any job..”
4) A degree does not equate to a job - A degree is no longer the most reliable way to find a job. Big and good companies are giving leverage to skills more than degrees. In the world of business today, a good set of skills is often considered more important than a degree.
Learning a skill is one of the best investments in your career. While a degree does not guarantee a better salary, once you know a skill you can be an entrepreneur and work for yourself too.
So irrespective of whether you pursue a degree or not building skill is mandatory so that you don't find yourself sitting in an interview queue like this next time.
5) Learn a skill that is in demand, and can fetch you a higher salary - A smart way to earn money and build an empire is to learn a skill that needs less time to be learned, but pays you more.
Some important skills nowadays are Digital Marketing, Video Editing, Online Teaching, D2C Sales, Web3 professional and many more.
6) Pursue a skill that you enjoy, and you are sure to get better at it - You can do what you love and it will leave you excited to learn new things and skills. This way you will surely excel in it. It's a sure-shot way to success.
I prefer to say it's not a shortcut but a sure-cut to success.
7) You can learn at your own pace and work from any place - Skill is focused learning and you don't have to finish it as a degree within a stipulated time. You can take your own time to learn a new skill. Also once you have skills you can use them anywhere and work from any part of the world.
The best part is a skill is best built when you have hands-on experience and so you can start with a paid internship while you're learning the skill. This gives a dual advantage.
8) A sense of purpose in your workplace - Once you have skills you will enjoy at your place of work, you become more productive. It gives you the confidence to work together and find your purpose. Also having skills sets you apart from the rest. Skills make you feel empowered.
If you are excited about building a new skill, this article by indeed has a lot to offer.
“The more we give importance to skill development, the more competent will be our youth.”– Narendra Modi
We hope you found this article useful. The reason why most people still pursue a degree despite being aware of its shortcomings is that they believe it will help them secure a good job. However, the truth is that a degree is not a guarantee of a secure job. You can always train yourself in skills that are in demand and secure a job that pays you well. You can even become an entrepreneur and start your own business. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
The key is to choose the right skill. Take some time to analyze different skills and areas that interest you. MySkillShaala is an amazing platform to learn about different skills that too with fun activities for students, youth and lifelong learners. If you're looking to build a new skill or start a new hobby check out our fun skill-building activities on MySkillShaala.
Check more such blogs here.
Let us know in the comments what skill are you planning to build next. Also, don't forget to share this blog with all your friends who are still confused about skill vs degree.